What firewall is better to install?

All Windows-related questions. Should a subject be developed, new forums will be created.

Moderators: Curtis8, A_Null

willmiller

What firewall is better to install?

Postby willmiller » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:33 pm

What will be a better one firewall I can download and use for free, that will come with my windows xp and won't slow it down? :(

Natan
Site Admin

Re: What firewall is better to install?

Postby Natan » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:12 am

willmiller wrote:What will be a better one firewall I can download and use for free, that will come with my windows xp and won't slow it down? :(

I've always preferred native XP's firewall, and got good results so far, assuming Windows is kept up-do-date (Windows update).
Natan

vn

Postby vn » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:14 pm

other than some hardware router/firewall or some openbsd/linux based firewall, I've only experimented with ZoneAlarm, which is a pain in the ass...and XP firewall...which looks OK but...if it's compromised, your whole system is.

Curtis8
Site Janitor

Postby Curtis8 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:47 pm

I personally like IP Cop as my firewall. However if you need a software based firewall The Free Country has a lot to choose from and they all have descriptions and the page is updated regularly.
Curtis

If you can read this, help me by going to the following link (can only go once per day)
http://s13.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=32058

Thank you

A_Null

Postby A_Null » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:09 am

I'd agree with Curtis. I've used iptables on several web systems, but it can be a pain to configure and maintain, and it's just another piece of code on a linux distribution. IPCop IS a linux distribution made JUST as a firewall. It's easily set up and maintained and doesn't need a lot of resources - pretty much any PC w/ two NICs can be an IPCop firewall.

Curtis8
Site Janitor

Postby Curtis8 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:38 am

There are a ton of extras for IP Cop if you fell like installing them. One of my newer favourites is Copfilter. Very good at removing SPAM and even the Google ads at the bottom of this forum disappear.
Curtis

If you can read this, help me by going to the following link (can only go once per day)

Thank you

david banner

Postby david banner » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:16 pm

Comodo is very good but can be very noisy too

Cmpu8

Postby Cmpu8 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:06 am

Another free firewall is AVG. They're anti-virus is pretty good too and I always had decent experiences with it. However, I would always recommend against just using free protection. If you're a relative heavy surfer free won't protect you sufficiently. Even the payable ones don't always cut it like Norton or Kaspersky, at least in my experience. The best one I've come across and have been using for quite a while now is Prevx.
Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.
My flash drive: Sony Micro Vault Click Turbo

johntoh

Postby johntoh » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:14 am

Thanks for this wonderful post , i was a little worried about this firewall thing, my friend told me that Norton ( I am currently using ) Firewall is not that great when some one is using unsecured connection. I checked IPCOP and the IPCop website says -Linux firewall distribution. Can i use this on windows based system or is there any other good Firewall.
Also , a very basic question - why do some one need Firewall when there is a paid subscription Anti-virus software was already present.

Curtis8
Site Janitor

Postby Curtis8 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:05 am

IP Cop is a router/Firewall. It runs on a separate computer between your computer and the internet. Norton (on the other hand) is software based and runs on Windows. If you are looking for a software firewall, WinXP Pro SP2 and later have one built in. Granted it may not be quite as good as a 3rd party solution, but I find it to be sufficient for most users.

"why do some one need Firewall when there is a paid subscription Anti-virus software was already present."
A firewall is different from Anti-Virus. A firewall will block ports (the things computers communicate through) whereas Anti-Virus will stop and kill malicious software.
Curtis

Thank you

sunnytoh

Postby sunnytoh » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:04 am

i use online armor it works for me its easy and very good no nag pop ups it does the job

courtneycoles27

Postby courtneycoles27 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:20 am

Yeah ZoneAlarm Pro is better here is the link for free download....

http://download.cnet.com/ZoneAlarm/3000 ... ?tag=mncol

karl stanley

Postby karl stanley » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:51 am

I am not a big fan of firewalls or antiviruses since they just slow your system and eat resources. But if you ask me, I would suggest bitdefender's lates release. It not only protects your system from unauthorized access and trojans, it stays in your system without you having to know it's actually there. If you have others in mind, or disagree please let me know. Thanks

Karl Stanley
Vita Mix Blenders | Vitamix Recipes | Vita mix 5200 reviews

rizvi

Postby rizvi » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:54 am

Hi,
I use XP firewall and it's doing well.
http://www.starlitt.com
http://avi-dar.com

pepito

Postby pepito » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:52 am

courtneycoles27 wrote:Yeah ZoneAlarm Pro is better here is the link for free download....

http://download.cnet.com/ZoneAlarm/3000-10435_4-10039884.html?tag=mncol

uhm yeah. I agree with you. I use the same one. although it still slows my pc though.
a man with a lot of questions

Return to “Not sorted”