Network Installs

All Windows-related questions. Should a subject be developed, new forums will be created.

Moderators: Curtis8, A_Null

CP-ChrisOlver

Network Installs

Postby CP-ChrisOlver » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:48 pm

Hi Guys,

Needed your thoughts really. I have been trying for a few days to get aload of Network Windows installers work all with the same end result... it doesnt work :wink: This is mostly down to the fact they havent been updated in so long that they have gained dust and driver support has to be on the custom.

After using PING to ghost a few servers I was really excited to try out WINNER but found out it only does XP (we run Server 2003 Enterprise on all our machines) so felt I was back to stage one. I have tried

# Unattened
# ANI

Both either refused to connect to the local samba mounts or with unattended managing to confuse its self. :-s Has anyone else got any recommendations on other remote network install software to try out? I am running all the software of another Server 2003 machine... oh and RIS is just too much hassle since it requires AD.

Thanks for your help,

-Chris

Curtis8
Site Janitor

Postby Curtis8 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:23 pm

I have Win2K3 Server, but I have not been using it for sometime. I have used RIS and found it to work, but as you stated AD is a pain to configure for a small network. I know that I would like WINNER to work with Win2K, and would expect that Win2K3 would not be too different to setup. It, however, is a ton of work for Natan to do so. Maybe if you talked to Natan really nice (his email is here) he could tell you the necessary changes for Win2K3 and since you have a need you would also have the necessary testing platforms.
Also as a side note, in the WINNER section there is this post. Give it a read it may help you out :D
Curtis

If you can read this, help me by going to the following link (can only go once per day)
http://s13.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=32058

Thank you

Return to “Not sorted”