Ping and Acer Aspire One PQSERVICE partition

Installation issues, feature requests, help, etc.

Moderators: Curtis8, A_Null

refp16

Ping and Acer Aspire One PQSERVICE partition

Postby refp16 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:44 am

Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire One model AOA-150 that has a hidden partition called PQSERVICE used for recovery purposes. This partition, I understand, comes before the partition (C:) that contains the OS (Windows XP SP3) - at least this is the graphical disposition when I check the Disk Management utility - . This latter partition is the one I am backing up with Ping (not the PQSERVICE partition nor a data partition I also have (D:)). Reading the user guide published on web (http://ping.windowsdream.com/ping/doc-2.01/using.html) I found descriptions for the files Ping makes in the process of backing up (I copy them below). After reading, I am not sure if doing a restore will mess up the PQSERVICE partition that comes before any other partition.

For example, when it says that the file hda1.first_Sectors "…stores the 20 first sectors of the first partition of the first hard disk drive. They will be restored before the partimaged image...", does it refer to my PQSERVICE partition, or only to the partition I am backing up? A similar question applies to the files hda1.000 and hda1.001. It seems to me that it refers to the C: drive which is the one I told it to backup, but I wouldn´t know. I just want to make sure that a restore won´t damage this PQSERVICE partition.

In summary, I have:
Disk 0 --> Hidden partition PQSERVICE --> C: Acer OS partition --> D: data partition

By the way, my Ping backup files are named instead of sda1.xxx, sda2.xxx. Why is that? Does it have to do with C: being my second partition ? (my backup files are saved in an external usb hard drive)

I am not computer savvy, so sorry for any "obvious" questions.
THANKS

File Descriptions:
bios: stores a copy of your bios settings, and will be restored too. If you don't want to restore or store your BIOS settings, delete this file.
hda: stores the first sector of the first hard disk drive. The file might be called sda if SCSI or S-ATA. The Master Boot Record (MBR) should be inside.
hda1.000 and hda1.001 (or sda1.000 if SCSI/S-ATA): are the partimage image files of the first partition of the first hard disk drive. Delete these files if you don't want this partition to be restored.
hda1.first_sectors (or sda1.first_sectors if SCSI/S-ATA): stores the 20 first sectors of the first partition of the first hard disk drive. They will be restored before the partimaged image, to ensure any boot sector stored in a partition rather than in the MBR will be restored. The LVM structure of a partition (Linux-context only) is also stored here.

Return to “PING / General Discussions”