USB Keyboard stops as ping loads

Installation issues, feature requests, help, etc.

Moderators: Curtis8, A_Null

chiuchimu

USB Keyboard stops as ping loads

Postby chiuchimu » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:03 pm

My MB supports USB mouse and keyboard - I go in to bios all the time with it. Once ping starts to boot, I loose my keyboard and I can't type 'enter' at the prompt. Do I need to add some driver to the ping ISO? How do I do that and keep the ISO bootable?

cristobalcat

Re: USB Keyboard stops as ping loads

Postby cristobalcat » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:36 pm

Well, I was so close to post the same issue, but I said to myself, rather link to an existing issue instead.

Yes, the same happened to me no matter what i tried to change the keyboard from several usb ports.

This is a Dell OPTIPLEX 320, and dell usb keyboard original.

Everything works ok with the keyboard, even in Knoppix, G4U, booting from USB CD, or USB Stick.

I'm trying now to create PING on a memory USB Stick instead, just to see if that fix the problem... IDK.

Any idea why this happen?

Tx

Alberto Maria

Postby Alberto Maria » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:17 am

Any idea why Natan (Curtis) disappeared from this forum?
Are we left alone? :wink:

AMM

cristobalcat

Postby cristobalcat » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:47 pm

Lets give admin sometime, maybe they are on vacation, who knows? Maybe frozen Margarita in Alaska? IDK... I'm in Miami... :mrgreen:

First time I tried from a USB-CDrom, and I had the problem with the usb keyb.

Now, I tried put the ISO image into a USB stick with the Multiboot ISO (Easy2boot, you should try it, i like it) and it loaded completely with no error, but same problem at the end. Ready to type ENTER... but keyb not responding.

I'm trying this from my office, and I don't have Internal CD working, so I will try that 3rd option later and let you guys know.

to be continued...

cristobalcat

Postby cristobalcat » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:42 pm

I finally found out the problem is at hardware/bios level, means, bios is not updated (and it can't be further updated) to compatibility regarding USB stuff, therefore, PING software compatibility level problem. :idea:
Even when that Dell (Optiplex 320) and keyboard work with any LIVE USB/CD just passed by my hand.

My scientific conclusion is because it works fine on a newer Dell (Optiplex 9010) PC. :D
I run it from same usb stick and I can type without any problem.

Hope this help.

Have fun! :mrgreen:

valkyl33t

Postby valkyl33t » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:16 pm

I figured out at one point that PING/PXE doesn't like USB3.0 ports. When I plugged a keyboard/Mouse into a USB2.0 only port, then they were recognized. Intel Mobo. Your results may vary.

cristobalcat

Postby cristobalcat » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:36 pm

m... weird enough. The Dell Optiplex 320 in which Ping have that issue with the USB keyb, has the same USB v2 as my other Optiplex 9010 that Ping works everything ok.
But yes, some glitch in the software/hardware galaxy. Go figure.

I don't really mind too much about this, since this is an avoidable problem, just get a PS2 keyboard, or get another pc, is as easy as to get your beer from the fridge, only laziness can stop you! :lol:

mjb

Postby mjb » Sat May 24, 2014 10:16 am

cristobalcat wrote:Lets give admin sometime, maybe they are on vacation, who knows?

It has been so long since any update to PING, or any serious activity on here, that I suspect "the PING is dead. Long live the PING!"

Is there any evidence of forward development, or is PING really abandonware now?

Because of ongoing problems with reliability when PING was talking to external NAS/CIFS boxes, and the lack of support for working with NFS, I defected to CloneZilla. It just worked.

Mike.

Alberto Maria

Postby Alberto Maria » Sun May 25, 2014 10:39 am

+1 :!: :D

AMM

Return to “PING / General Discussions”