New Beginner Question about PING

Installation issues, feature requests, help, etc.

Moderators: Curtis8, A_Null

davew

New Beginner Question about PING

Postby davew » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:06 am

Hi Everyone,
I just now started using PING, and I am lost (being a newbie at this, I would be).
My problem is I cannot understand how to read my drives under PING.

I am running Win7 Ultimate (64bit) with the following two physical hard drives. One drive is my "D:\"(Label Name: StorageDisk) is one full partition, the other drive has the following partitions; "C:\" (Label Name: Win7Main), "G:\" (Label Name: SystemBackup-PING) and finally "H:\" (System Reserved). This is a Dell System BTW.

My problem is when PING shows where to store my image, I'm lost. What does the following means and how do I use it?
PING shows the following:
sdb1 - (HPFS/NTFS)
sdb2 - (HPFS/NTFS)
sdb3 - (HPFS/NTFS)
sdc1 - (Dell Utility) (Dell, Boot)
sdc2 - (HPFS/NTFS) (.Bin, AutoIt File)

Where do I create/store my image? I would like it on drive "G:\" where I have 170GB set aside for storage.

Thanks to all for your help with this.

-davew

laoistom

Re: New Beginner Question about PING

Postby laoistom » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:02 am

Hi Dave,

Seeing as Ping is built on Linux the drive assignments follow the standard format found in LInux. In Linux drive carry the follow drive assignment : SDA1 or SDC3 or HDA2

Lets break down the first one for you :

SDA1
Sata Disk A Partition 1

as above the 'SD' means "Sata Disk". The Letter "A" refers to which disk and the number refers to the Partition Number. Lets say you have 2 Hard Drives with 2 Partitions each you would see the following :

SDA1 - Partition 1 - Disk 1
SDA2 - Partition 2 - Disk 1
SDB1 - Partition 1 - Disk 2
SDB2 - Partition 2 - Disk 2

In your example I would use Windows Disk Management to Look at the Partition layouts so you have a better idea of which partition is the one your looking for.

********** WARNING ************

There is a fairly well documented issue with using PING on Dell Machines that contain a Restore Partition on these forums. For some reason a lot of users have reported that PING pretty much ruined their systems after performing a Backup. Personally i've backedup LOADS of dell machines without seeing any issues however i'm just letting you know that it can seemingly be an issue.

If you have any other questions feel free to give me a shout.

Welcome by the way,

Cheers,

TQ

davew

Postby davew » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:37 pm

Thanks TQ for the feedback, I'll go back to the Disk Management and see if I can figure out the layout now.

davew

laoistom

Postby laoistom » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:59 pm

Just incase you want to try and do it using the PING CD on its own you can login into the Shell and view the contents of your partitions to be sure your using the right one.

At the PING welcome screen type X and press Enter

The Username is Root

the following commands mount the first partition on the first drive to the folder /mnt/dos so you can view the contents.

mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/dos
ls /mnt/dos

if its not the right partition type the following to unmount the partition

unmount /dev/sda1

you can use these commands to to cycle through your partitions to find the one your looking for. Make sure you unmount the drive once you find the right one then type the following to start PING again.

./etc/rc.d/rc.ping

Hope this helps

Cheers,
TQ

davew

Postby davew » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:01 am

Hi TQ,
Thanks so much for the guide, I really appreciate the help.

I am have a problem with your command -> mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/dos

I keep getting an error, by that it just brings up the mount usage commands. Am I missing something here?
What function does -3g do?

Again, thanks for the help.

davew

laoistom

Postby laoistom » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:40 am

mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/dos

Lets break it down.

the "-t" tells the mount command to use the program "ntfs-3g" (no spaces between ntfs and -3g by the way) to mount the partition as linux doesn't have a default ability to read NTFS. "/dev/sda1" refers to the first partition on the first SATA Hard Drive (If your drive is an IDE hard Drive it will be represented by HDA1 when referring to the first partition).

finally the "/mnt/dos" is the folder in Linux that your going mount the drive to. Linux just does things differently drives need to be mounted to a "Mount Point" and this is as handy a way of doing it as any.

In an attempt to avoid any confusions with the commands i'm going to rewrite them again but i'm going to insert [SPACE] anywhere there is meant to be a space, just substitute for an actual space when your entering the commands. I'm also going to assume that you are mounting the first partition of the first Sata Drive : SDA1

mount[SPACE]-t[SPACE]ntfs-3g[SPACE]/dev/sda1[SPACE]/mnt/dos --------------> MOUNTS SDA1 TO THE FOLDER /MNT/DOS
ls[SPACE]/mnt/dos --------------> LISTS THE CONTENTS OF /MNT/DOS
umount[SPACE]/dev/sda1 --------------> UNMOUNTS SDA1

You can also view all the partitions on your PC by typing the following :

fdisk[SPACE]-l

Hope this helps.

Any other questions you know where to find me.

Cheers,
TQ

Return to “PING / General Discussions”