Browse files on Image.

Installation issues, feature requests, help, etc.

Moderators: Curtis8, A_Null

wlramsey

Browse files on Image.

Postby wlramsey » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:14 pm

Let me start by saying I LOVE PING!!! It does so much more than Ghost ever thought of. I just wish I would have found it long before I did. Countless hours spent getting the correct NIC drivers to get the PC to boot right and recognize the ghostcast server. Then one little hiccup, and I had to restart all of them in my call center. Well life moved on and I found PING!

There is one feature that Ghost has that I do miss. The ability to browse files from a captured image. Is this possible with PING files? There is are a few files that I want from a backup image I made from a machine before I wiped it. I would rather not reimage a PC just to get these files. Any ideas?

Thanks

laoistom

Re: Browse files on Image.

Postby laoistom » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:18 pm

PING itself doesn't have the ability to open up a backup and read certain files out of it. However, PING is build on Partimage. If there is a Partimage tool that will allow you to mount the image you might be in luck but i've never looked into it.

A_Null

Re: Browse files on Image.

Postby A_Null » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:09 pm

Sorry, but that's just not feasible with PING images. There is no accessible file information in the image.
The image is based on disk layout, not file structure, so in order to gain file-oriented access, the image must be restored to a disk first, edited, then re-imaged.

Here's a visual for you - let's say that you had a giant vegetable peeler, and you could peel off the Earth's surface into a a 4-foot wide strip. A really, really, really long 4-foot wide strip.

Now, let's say that you have that strip, and you need to replace a left-lane bridge somewhere on Australia's Highway 1. You'd really need to lay the peeling back down onto the Earth to find the country, the highway, and bridge.

Yeah. It's like that.

Return to “PING / General Discussions”