Ext usb HD failed after ping error

Installation issues, feature requests, help, etc.

Moderators: Curtis8, A_Null

remus

Ext usb HD failed after ping error

Postby remus » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:12 am

Hi all,

I have used an external usb hard drive to store some ping images onto, and tried a recovery yesterday.

As the recovery started I got an error saying that the first file could not be found, now when I plug the hard drive into a computer running windows, I can not access the drive.

Sorry about the lack of details regarding the error messages, i'm at home at the moment.

I know its possable the drive could have failed, it may also be possable that the drive was left in some kind of mount/unmounted limbo after the ping error ? And perhaps I just need to use some linux commands to test / repair the drive ?

Any suggestions welcome.

Remus

remus

Re: Ext usb HD failed after ping error

Postby remus » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:46 am

After trying some drive/partition recovery software to repair the drive, I gave up and re-created partition and formated it. All backups on the ext hard drive were lost.

Removed drive from computer, reboot computer, and now the drive works fine.

This has happened to me a few times before, seems that If an error is encountered during a ping recovery and I alt+ctrl+del to reboot, I lose data on my ext hard drive. In future I'll burn the backup images to DVD's and use that.

Any other ideas ?

mjb

Postby mjb » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:47 am

remus wrote:external usb hard drive ... possable that the drive was left in some kind of mount/unmounted limbo

Although Linux (and hence, PING) is pretty savvy about unmounting stuff forcibly at reboots, if you did unplug the drive without warning or rebooted with the big reset button, you could have left the filesystem inconsistent.

Some external USB NAS drives are not particularly tolerant to errors in communications. Some can't even cope with being accessed by two CIFS/SMB computers over the network at once, without getting confused and corrupting data. It's just duff firmware, lack of testing, and cheapness to blame there.

I really think PING needs a way to generate an MD5sum list of it's intended output as it's going along, so that they can be used to verify the files straight after, and at later dates. Because some storage devices just aren't 100% reliable, and you need them to be! At least with MD5 checksums, generated at the time of backup, you can find out if it's gone wrong and re-image, right there.

remus

Postby remus » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:39 pm

Great idea, perhaps you should start a new post about it ?

Once I got the error message i used alt + ctrl + del and waited for the system to restart before i removed the drive.

Each workstation has its own ping partition on its drive. The drive became corrupted, so I took a short cut.

I put in a new drive, plugged in the backup ext hd and tried to do a restoration from that, now i've had time to think about it, to protect the ext hd I could have created the partitions on the new drive, copied the ping image to the ping partition on the new drive, thus keeping it isolated from the ping recovery process.

Return to “PING / General Discussions”