Who is using PING -- Platforms and Organizations

Installation issues, feature requests, help, etc.

Moderators: Curtis8, A_Null

Postby lucas.mccuistian » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:11 pm

I work for a school district in Georgia. We have 28 schools total, and I am working with my Director of Technology to try and allow all of our schools to use PING.

I use the PXE method and it works great.

Thanks for all that you do and keep up the good work.

Postby sigurdi » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:32 am

Berg fengsel Norway.

I use Ping to setup new or computers that is uppgraded from win2000 to XP. (Around 100 computes in 2007)
Some of the computes is:
Fujitsu Siemens chith chipset:
i845G, i856G, i845GE, i865G.
And the Fujitsu Siemens modell 2510, no PS2 ports. :-)

Have also suscefully used it on a Via MiniITX Luke, with CF cards as HD.

And a veryty of laptopps.

Postby jannerman » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:49 pm

Just started using it here in the UK planning to use to image our standard user desktop/laptop builds. HP/Compaq pcs on XP.

Currently using cd/dvd/external hdd system but have setup a PXE server (Windows 2003 Server - sorry!) which we're going to utilise later on.

Still some problems with the use of the thing (will be in the other forum shortly!) but aside from that it's a great bit of software - you guys rock!

Postby scriptcypher » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:25 pm

I am a IT Consultant for E-merging Frontiers, a Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg based company that does Contracted IT support for many different companies. We have started using PING to deploy our sysprepped Windows installs. It works great and is much faster.

Postby Spad » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:51 pm

I am an IT consultant working for an NHS Primary Care trust in the UK. We were using Ghost until about 3 months ago, but frankly it's dreadful and really doesn't like the new Dell Desktops (Cursed AHCI!).

So I did some Googling for an alternative and turned up this little gem - we've been using it for our desktop deployments ever since.

Now if only I can make the NTFS resizing work as intended ;)

Postby fredo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:22 pm

I'm a computer tech in a French state school ("Lycée") with ~400 PCs (lots of different hardware of course!)

Currently using PING for cloning new machines before deployment (amd64 based) where other commercial tools failed...
(It's a shame I don't have DHCP so I would have tested PXE)

Site Janitor

Postby Curtis8 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:41 pm

fredo DHCP and PXE is quite easy with a simple IPCop firewall. That is what I use here. You can use one of your old computers for it as IPCop runs on just about anything.

If you can read this, help me by going to the following link (can only go once per day)

Thank you

Postby fredo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:09 am

Curtis, in fact, setting up a DHCP is no problem for me. It's more a matter of what I have the right to do, or not! (I'm not the boss here :)

Postby bates-K » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:26 pm

I am a Computer Operations Advisory for a large non-profit in western Idaho, we operate preschools, and community centers, we currently have over 150 notebooks deployed and another 100 desktops.

I started using PING this week, we are in the middle of a 50 unit roll out and where having a nightmare of a time using Norton's Ghost(tm). I got sick of it and found PING :D

I have used it on 30 new Dell Vostro 1000, and only had problems with three.

I am using the LiveCD and external hard drives.
I have my master image on the external hard drive and boot from CD.
Once the image is transferred I reboot and use a little utility from MS "NewSID" to change the SID and computer name, customized to the user.
Then I restart and use a registry cleaner to clean up.

Then done.

I love this simplified process I intend to load a master image on the site servers and set the computers to use boot from network as the second option if they have their windows OS corrupted.

Postby Silent » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:28 am

I work in a small tertiary institution in South Africa, used it, love it, want to marry it :wink:

Site Janitor

Postby Curtis8 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:15 pm

As funny as you think that is, one day that just may be possible :D

If you can read this, help me by going to the following link (can only go once per day)

Thank you

Postby bwkaz » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:42 pm

OK, now that our testing is done (:D), I'll post in here.

I work in the IT group for one of the few business units (of a fairly large manufacturing company) that has an IT group. (Most of them have a single guy, or (more often) contract their IT stuff out to some random person in the area.) We've been doing machine images for probably 7-8 years now, using Ghost. We had a few network-capable boot-disks that we'd built with the help of some random NT4-Server utility. Eventually we started getting different types of machines, with different types of NICs, and so we needed a different boot-disk for each type.

Eventually, when I got fed up with the speed of the floppies (and the number of them that were hanging around), I built a bootable CD that contained all of them. That was maybe 3-4 years ago; I've updated the CD once or twice since then (when Dell started sending us machines with different NICs again), but it's been working fairly well.

Until, that is, Dell released the Optiplex GX755 model, where the CD drive doesn't work under oakcdrom.sys (in DOS) in legacy mode on the SATA controller. (So the network drivers couldn't load, because they wouldn't all fit on the disk; access to the CD was required to even see them under DOS.) So it was either forget about images, or find something other than Ghost (we needed to start over with the image files anyway, since they were accumulating cruft after so many years).

Searching for a DOS SATA CD driver found tons of forum posts where people were asking this question, and getting answers that said "forget DOS and Ghost; just use some other software"; most of them said to try partimage out. Looking at partimage revealed the PING CD; when I saw how tiny it was, and that it ran LFS (which I've been using at home for about 5-6 years now; ever since around v3.2 or 3.3, I think), I figured it would be the first thing I tried.

The CD has been working great; I've even used it to yank files off a couple of Vista machines before they got reformatted (we don't use that tragedy of an OS inside the company, but one or two people have personal laptops that they decided we needed to try to recover after their OS broke), and for taking images of the same machines after everything got reinstalled, so we can restore them more easily the next time the user (or the OS) hoses up the data on their disk.

(Edit: To be explicit about this, we use it to image XP, along with one or two employees' Vista laptops. These are all Dell OptiPlex GX755s so far, but I suspect that based on the massive speed increase over DOS and Ghost (and the fact that we don't need a separate CD drive on the GX745 and GX520/620 models), we may end up moving some of our images for that type of hardware over to it eventually.)

So between it being able to read files (and the whole FS) off Vista, and the image process working great, we're going to use it (barring anything catastrophic in the near future anyway ;)).

Thanks for putting it together! :)

Postby skeates » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:00 am

I subcontract for a company called CLUBCOM they are part of Precor which is part of AMER sports.

Clubcom build media servers (or I build their media servers) that play various channels of music. In essence your own branded music video television station.

I have been using 1.11 through to the most 2.01 for a while and apart from a few glitches which mostly seem to be due to my errors it works great.

The systems are running win XP syspreped and I use PING via PXE using TFTPD.

Postby Ralph.Net » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:32 pm

I am creating disc images almost every day and have been working with various commercial tools I paid for.
Today I tried ping to create a backup image of my win 2003 enterprise server development system on a Samsung Notebook.
Ping is simply great.
It boots quickly from CD. It recognizes all usb harddisk drives attached to the system so it's easy to create an image right on an external usb drive.
Even restoring the image from an external usb hd to the internal hd works just fine. I am really amazed by the fact that something as good as ping can be obtained free of charge on the web.
Thanks a lot and keep up the great work !

Who is using PING -- Platforms and Organizations

Postby djohnston » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:14 pm

I work for a company building point-of-sale computers for restaurants. We used to use Ghost and Acronis with USB external drives to restore an XP disk image to whatever Dell model we were working with at the time. We now use them only as a last resort.

I found your site, downloaded PING 2.01, and installed it on an XP box using shared directories. I also installed the TFTP package so we could boot the machine to be imaged via PXE. This works very well, with one caveat. The point-of-sale machines are using NTFS with RAID-1 configuration (software driven). In order to re-image a Dell with RAID-1, we have to turn off the mirrored drive in BIOS, leaving one active. At this point, the Windows RAID-1 is in rebuild status. We then PXE boot the local machine from the XP box, transfer the disk image to the local machine using PING, then reboot into Windows once. After first Windows reboot, we change the BIOS and add the mirrored drive. We then boot the local machine again, and let the mirrored drive rebuild using the Intel Storage manager software installed in Windows.

This is still more efficient than our former method. In addition, I looked for an alternative because we were running into scenarios where Ghost wouldn't recognize the external USB drive (containing the disk image), or Acronis wouldn't. Sometimes, there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to it.

On machines that don't use RAID, using PING to restore a Windows disk image is both simple and fast.

Return to “PING / General Discussions”