Who is using PING -- Platforms and Organizations

Installation issues, feature requests, help, etc.

Moderators: Curtis8, A_Null

rf

not yet

Postby rf » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:19 pm

Would love to use PING for backups at our organization instead of hassling with Ghost or Acronis. Unfortunately, PING is still flakey and unfinished.
I can't give my techs something this unfinished to do such important work.

There is a great need for this kind of utility. Please keep up the good work!

Richard

Patrick DAGORNE

Postby Patrick DAGORNE » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:30 pm

Sucessfuly tried on a Intel SR1300's with RedHat Linux, Windows 2000 and Windows 2003. 430MB/min create - 1,5GB/min restore using a SMBFS Gbe server configuration.

Also good results with Fujitsu LifeBook c1020 and Fujitsu ErgoPro desktop.

VERY GOOD PRODUCT
There are always technical solutions to a an IT problem but budget often is the real and only decision maker at the end of the day !!

pjb926

Postby pjb926 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:48 am

Using PING to help keep track of alpha and beta builds to save time and document changes just in case no one wants to do a complete rebuild if only a few steps back we have an image.

Fast and smooth once some of the kinks are learned.

Great job and keep it up.

10+ systems kept at different development cycles with very little confusion or wasted time rebuilding them between loads. Thanks!

-Pat

annihilator89

Postby annihilator89 » Mon May 19, 2008 6:19 pm

I thought I should mention Ping works great, especially on desktops!

in our county(manistee,michigan) we have a total of 3 schools using the software.
Onekama
Manistee High
Manistee Catholic
there are some problems with laptops, but it is almost perfect for desktops!
Thanks for the good work!

candyman

Re: Who is using PING -- Platforms and Organizations

Postby candyman » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:03 pm

Farley's and Sathers Candy Company in Round Lake, Minnesota has been using PING for almost a year now on a wide variety of PCs across all of our sites in the US.

ternarybit

Postby ternarybit » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:16 pm

I just deployed a lean RIS server hosting PING 2.01 at my small computer repair shop. In the future I hope to use this in two ways:

1) use the network to back up / restore client / store machine hdd images
2) deploy images for new build machines over the network

So far the results have been stellar! I tested the .iso version of PING on my personal custom PC (ASUS P5W DH Deluxe, WD SATA HDDs) and found restoring took less than 2 minutes (my basic XP configuration takes less than 2GB). I just now tested the PXE version and it succeeded brilliantly (RIS is hosted on a P4 3.0GHz, 1024MB DDR2, WD 320GB HDD, ASUS mobo; test client machine is a dual core Celeron w/ 160GB WD SATA HDD).

Thank you SO much for providing such a wonderfully powerful, free tool. I will be sure to check / post regularly to stay involved in such a great project.

confusador

Postby confusador » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:26 am

I'm a home user, mostly using ping create restore disks for my configurations for various Windows/Linux boxes in my lab. I'll try to post some of my experience as I go. So far it's been a cakewalk! Thanks for putting together a great tool!

netphreak

Postby netphreak » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:07 am

At work I have "always" used Norton/Symantec Ghost for imaging many computers at a time (up to about 50 computers simultaneously). I will continue doing it this way, as it's very speedy compared to PING - simply because Ghost's "Multicast" feature.

But - I can see several other areas where PING is superior to Ghost:

1: It's free to use (GNU opensource).
2: Highly configurable - with some effort you can make it do "exactly" what you want.
3: Faster than Ghost on single restore processes.
4: BIOS restore.
5: Password protection.
6: I'm sure there are more, I'm new to PING

I will use PING on a project we have at work - we have sold a few hundred laptop's (Toshiba Tecra A9) to an organization that will give the PC's to children with special needs. OS is Windows XP, and it's often corrupted by the users. So we'll deliver the PC's with a PING partition, also containing a backup image. PING will automatically restore the NTFS partition upon choosing "Restore" in LILO boot loader (password protected to prevent accidents). Now that's a great feture to deliver with a new laptop if you ask me :)

I work with some OLDfashioned men - they hate Linux and Opensource. Now let's see if they can find a better "freeware" for Windows to do this ;) Maybe they'll retire early after this, hehe!

Curtis8
Site Janitor

Postby Curtis8 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:17 pm

netphreak wrote:Maybe they'll retire early...
I doubt that they will if they know about Windows SteadyState. But like all software it can be broken, with PING, you have a partition that Windows cannot access and can therefore not wreck it. It works much like the program FoolProof my school used (if you have ever heard of it).
Curtis

If you can read this, help me by going to the following link (can only go once per day)
http://s13.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=32058

Thank you

netphreak

Postby netphreak » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:26 pm

Curtis8 wrote:... But like all software it can be broken ...

There's a lot of software able to restore your Windows OS to an earler state. But that's simply not a reliable solution. Rule of thumb - if a regular user can destroy your system by accident - he/she will.

Curtis8
Site Janitor

Postby Curtis8 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:22 pm

FoolProof worked quite well, but there were some ways around it's protection. As with any software there are drawbacks. I think for some people SteadyState would be a better choice, but for techs like yourself, PING is by far better.
Curtis

If you can read this, help me by going to the following link (can only go once per day)
http://s13.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=32058

Thank you

laoistom

Postby laoistom » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:21 am

Initially began looking at PING as an imaging solution. I work in an environment where we assemble and ship computers for the healthcare market. I needed to dramatically reduce the time need in preparing machines.

I installed PING 2.01 over a Microsoft Deployment Server and using PXE boot I deployed a selection of SYSPREPed images to the newly assembled machines. This reduced the overall time of production by about 35 minutes. :D

I have recently updated to PING 3.00 as I was experiencing a few problems with a new type of motherboard. This fixed the problem immediately. Also I implented a fully functioning restore partition on every machine that goes out (Part of the initial image that is loaded)

Overall I couldn't be happier with the system I have currently implemented, plus to make things better it cost me €0... :D NOTHING hehehehehehe

yankinNcrankin

Postby yankinNcrankin » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:04 am

Awesome! Latest edition. Successfully restored Windows 7 beta. 9 min to write about 6Gigs in virtual pc running off XpPro very nice. Works nice with Vista all flavors as well. I mainly use PING for my XpPro setup that I have, don't think I'll ever give it up. :mrgreen:

sloscheider

Postby sloscheider » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:58 pm

I'm the tech coordinator for a small school in northern Minnesota - about 400 computers. I use PING along with Deep Freeze to keep labs and various student computers running smooth. Once a lab is updated with the latest software using PING we freeze it with Deep Freeze. I've used PING to make a quick backup of a staff computer and have standard images we use to quickly replace a teacher computer when needed.

Merlin33069

Postby Merlin33069 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:29 am

Still doing preliminary testing and some editing to the rc for our Business and to make it easier to see who makes the software we include :P

I am an Executive of TimmCo (www.TimmCom.com)

we mostly build custom computers, and after looking for a nice backup program for about 4 hours i was surprised to come accross you guys, i immediately noticed that you have a large "fan base" and i was interested

after testing is complete we plan on buying the software for commercial use and using it on every machine we sell... its that good

love the fact that i can password the restore partition to keep normal users out of the system.

Currently Running in VMware on Xp home, Vista Ultimate, Win 7

soon to be on my personal machine as well...

Return to “PING / General Discussions”