Dell D620 very slow - combined_mode=libata not working

Installation issues, feature requests, help, etc.

Moderators: Curtis8, A_Null

Flow

Dell D620 very slow - combined_mode=libata not working

Postby Flow » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:06 pm

Alright I would love to have help with this one...

I read a thread that mentions slow dells because of SATA drive recognize as ATA and the workaround was the combined_mode=libata in the cfg file...

Now I would assume this cfg file could be the DEFAULT also in my PXE folder were I can pass commands next to APPEND like all the stuff in there...

I have also read that in the BIOS you could change the mode for the HD from compatible or legacy, etc... But there is nothing even in the latest BIOS for this D620 concerning the HD except for HDD noise level that could be set to bypass(default) or performance mode, which I tried but no change there.

I achieve a maximum speed of 92.50 MiB/min which is slow as hell and defeats the purpous of switching to PING.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if you need more info from me, just ask.

Flow

Postby Flow » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:37 pm

OKay I have just spent an hour on the phone with Dell gold support level 2 tech and he confirms there is no setting in the BIOS for this model to change the hard drive setting.

So anyways, if someone can point me in the right direction as to what solution I have to make this drive faster?

I tried putting the hard drive in a D630 and it's fast but when the image is done and I put it back in the D620 I get partition table errors or NTLDR is missing...

All I want is use the D620 as fast as it should normally go since it is SATA... one thing that might be usefull to know is the D620 has a ICH7-M chipset.

SimonD

Postby SimonD » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:28 am

Same thing with the Dell D820, although I am limited to 88mbs.
Ghosting it takes about 18 minutes, PINGing it takes in excess of 3 hours.
Unfortunately for me the company I am currently working with is moving away from their parent company and refuse to transfer the Ghost licenses (ie they don't want to pay money for it), being as I leave in a week I had been trying to find a solution for them as quickly as I could, unfortunately I just can't. Silly really, PING works great on the Lenovo laptops they have but like a dying dog on the Dell's (and guess what they have the most of??).

kazgor

Postby kazgor » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:46 am

can't really add any solutions to this other than confirm on a D600 it took 3hours to image 12gb.. on the D830 it take about 8mins.

If i do get some time i might revisit D600, as that was my first time using PING.

Flow

Postby Flow » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:38 pm

I'm surprised Natan does not have an answer for this... you guys have any idea why the libata command does not work with this one? I read something somewhere else about libata.atapi_enabled=1, could anyone confirm?

The link to this is http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/ ... /1114.html

I don't know if I'm alowed to post an URL please correct me if I'm wrong!
And I am not sure of the relevancy of this article either but might be usefull!

Please let me know guys.

Since we have gold support at Dell, I got in touch with a Linux tech at Dell which happens to know PING and he is doing test with a D620 himself so I hope to have news coming from him also!

marculos123

D620s

Postby marculos123 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:04 pm

Hi I can load a 4.3gig image onto a D620 in around 20 mins off a usb stick, which I can load in 5 mins using Ghost. Similar sort of time off a CD. Indeed it is much quicker on a D630 ....

Flow

Postby Flow » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:35 pm

So could anyone please show me things I could try to APPEND maybe or anything to help me get this either work faster in IDE mode or really recognized as SATA? I'm desperate to try pretty much anything!

Flow

Postby Flow » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:59 pm

Natan or Curtis8 or anyone, do you know why the D620 (with a ICH7M chipset) does not recognize SATA as SATA? Also the "Clocksource tsc unstable" what does it mean, how do you fix that? If you don't know, do you have an idea?

Natan
Site Admin

Postby Natan » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:14 am

Hi people,
back from a lot of work... I'm pretty sure there's a simple solution. Will google on it tomorrow. Thanks everyone for helping to solve the case...

Natan

jss

Postby jss » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:56 pm

I had the same problem with my Toshiba laptop and with a bit googling found a solution that works at least for me.

APPEND ide0=noprobe

Now my hdd is recognized as SATA and everything works like a charm.

jasonmartens

Postby jasonmartens » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:22 pm

I would like to confirm that ide0=noprobe fixes the problem. I have several Dell Latitude XT tablets, and they were going around 60MiB/min before adding it, now they are going at 310MiB/min. Simply add that option to the APPEND line of your kernel (I'm using pxe boot, so DEFAULT file for me).

rhempel

Postby rhempel » Wed May 07, 2008 10:44 pm

jasonmartens wrote:I would like to confirm that ide0=noprobe fixes the problem. I have several Dell Latitude XT tablets, and they were going around 60MiB/min before adding it, now they are going at 310MiB/min. Simply add that option to the APPEND line of your kernel (I'm using pxe boot, so DEFAULT file for me).

Same here. On my Dell D610 (with an ATA drive) setting ide0=noprobe
lets ping recognize it as /dev/sda1

I'm restoring from a DVD and before the change I was getting about
100MB/min restore rate.

Since making the change, I'm getting about 600MB/min restore rate.

Definitely put this into the howto doc as it makes the whole ping
solution very elegant and easy to implement.

Cheers and congrats on this awesome software.

Ralph

kazgor

Postby kazgor » Fri May 09, 2008 11:36 am

when are u putting the ide0=noprobe?

When i create the new image, its quite slow on a similar laptop, how would i put the above command so hopefully its picks the drive up as a SATA.?

or u just doing that command in the restore stage?

cheers

rhempel

Postby rhempel » Fri May 09, 2008 1:58 pm

kazgor wrote:when are u putting the ide0=noprobe?

When i create the new image, its quite slow on a similar laptop, how would i put the above command so hopefully its picks the drive up as a SATA.?

or u just doing that command in the restore stage?

cheers

It goes in isolinux.cfg on the line that starts with APPEND. Just insert
that with all of the other options in the line.

See full instructions here:

<http://www.windowsdream.com/ping/doc-2.01/bootiso.html>

Ralph

kazgor

Postby kazgor » Fri May 09, 2008 2:32 pm

It goes in isolinux.cfg on the line that starts with APPEND. Just insert
that with all of the other options in the line.

See full instructions here:

<http://www.windowsdream.com/ping/doc-2.01/bootiso.html>

Ralph

ah ok.. so thats what i thought, its for the RESTORE stage only... i was hoping it could be used to speed up the creation of the Image.. guess that would mean editting the PING.ISO to add that extra line.

Thanks.

Return to “PING / General Discussions”