Bootable USB Flash Drive question

Installation issues, feature requests, help, etc.

Moderators: Curtis8, A_Null

td123456

Bootable USB Flash Drive question

Postby td123456 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:42 pm

I am using the bootable flash drive option that is described in the PING docs on page 30 with the SYSLINUX tools and it is working wonderfully. The question I have is I am wanting to using a write protectable flash drive so that my images don't accidentally get overwritten. When I enable the write protect switch (it is a little slider switch on my usb drive) The ping app errors out saying i have no partition to save data to and doesn't get far enough for me to select a restore option from an image on the usb drive. any suggestions??

pbpcservices

Re: Bootable USB Flash Drive question

Postby pbpcservices » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:37 am

td123456,

I do not have an answer for you; however i would like to know if you were able to create this USB drive without any user interraction?

Let me know how you did.

Thanks,
pbpcservices

laoistom

Re: Bootable USB Flash Drive question

Postby laoistom » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:08 am

The reason for this is obvious. The USB Drive you have has the ability to enable the partition to "Write Protected" using that switch. So if you turn it on before you take an image PING is going to see the partition as unavailable. If it can't write to it it's not going to be any good to PING. the write protection shoul only be enabled after you take the image.

Return to “PING / General Discussions”