Dell Optiplex 380 w/ Broadcom NetLink Gigabit NIC

Installation issues, feature requests, help, etc.

Moderators: Curtis8, A_Null

Hwyman

Dell Optiplex 380 w/ Broadcom NetLink Gigabit NIC

Postby Hwyman » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:02 pm

I just used PING to image 10 new Dell Latitude E5500 laptop with great success. PING does exactly what I want to do, the way I want to do it. Great job!

Unfortunately, I've run into a problem with the 30 new Dell Optiplex 380 desktops I have on hand. I've determined that the NIC is not supported in the kernel in the current PING release, version 3.00.03.

I booted with Ubuntu 9.10 and for that the NIC was supported. Here is the relavent portion from dmesg:

eth0: Tigon3 [partno(BCM57780) rev 57780001] (PCI Express) MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
eth0: attached PHY driver [Broadcom BCM57780] (mii_bus:phy_addr=200:01)

Is there a new kernel coming out anytime soon that will support this NIC?

Thanks!

ohershey

Re: Dell Optiplex 380 w/ Broadcom NetLink Gigabit NIC

Postby ohershey » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:26 pm

I have successfully imaged Dell Precision Worstation 380s using the 3.00.02 kernel. I have 8 of them in service now. In fact, I will be re-imaging one of them after lunch today. They use the Broadcom 57 series NIC.

Hwyman

Postby Hwyman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:09 pm

My issue is with the Optiplex 380 not the Precision 380. I imagine the Optiplex is using a different hardware revision.

Suffice it to say, I wasn't able to wait for a solution since I needed to get these machines into production. I ended up using FOG to get these machines imaged. FOG didn't work initially either because it also didn't support the NIC. They do provide you with a way to compile your own kernel which is what I had to do. They provide a .config file and all you have to do is 'make menuconfig' and select any other options you need to compile into the kernel to get your hardware to work. (In my case, the tg3 (Tigon3) module was already selected in their .config...all I needed was the newer kernel source to compile from.) The new kernel then gets pushed out by the PXE server. Being able to push out a custom kernel is a VERY strong feature since you are always going to be playing catch up with hardware. I'd love to see this feature worked into PING since I feel FOG is bloated and takes time to setup.

Curtis8
Site Janitor

Postby Curtis8 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:54 pm

PING has the .config in the downloads section for making your own kernel. Last I checked at least.
Curtis

If you can read this, help me by going to the following link (can only go once per day)
http://s13.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=32058

Thank you

Hwyman

Postby Hwyman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:57 pm

The 3.00.02 folder has it, but not the current 3.00.03. I assume it would be useable with the current version. I suggest adding a blurb about using the .config file to build your own custom kernel (in case the shipped one doesn't work) to the instructions.

Until then, he's a quick and dirty tutorial for those having similar problems. Please note you will need a build environment (compilers, linkers, etc...) for your linux distro.
1. Go to www.kernel.org and download the latest stable kernel source
2. Unpack the source file (tar jxvf linux*.bz2)
3. cd linux* and place the .config file here
4. make menuconfig (this will require the ncurses library for your distro) and add support for your hardware. It might
already be selected.
5. make bzImage and go get a drink
6. The kernel will be saved in arch/i386/boot as bzImage
7. Replace the shipped kernel file with the new bzImage...you will need to rename it kernel

Please note that I haven't tested the above instructions with PING...especially #7, but those are generally the steps involved.

Curtis8 wrote:PING has the .config in the downloads section for making your own kernel. Last I checked at least.

Westy

Postby Westy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:56 pm

I had the same problem with the Optiplex 380's + Ping 3.00.3. Posting my solution for reference. Thanks goes to Hwyman for the rough guide! :)

Used Ubuntu Live CD 9.10
Downloaded 2.6.33 from kernel.org
Copied .config from ping 3.00.3
make oldconfig
pico .confg and changed line: CONFIG_BROADCOM_PHY=y
build bzImage
Copied 'bzImage' to be the 'kernel' file TFTD server.

This works fine for me. Although the card uses the tg3 module, it needed BROADCOM_PHY for the actual module to load.

I couldn't get it work with the old 2.6.30 kernel, even with that line added. Lots of places suggest problems with the tg3, and there is loads of mentions in the kernel changelogs, so I figure it's a flaky driver.

Hwyman

Postby Hwyman » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:36 pm

Westy, thanks for fleshing out some of the details! I had forgotten you can do 'make oldconfig'...that saves you from having to load the ncurses library. I do remember looking at BROADCOM_PHY and wondering about it. I was kinda stressed to get moving along on the project, so I think I added support for everything that said 'broadcom' instead of figuring out what I really needed. It's not an optimized solution, but it's only for a temporary imaging environment. :)

MrJames2785

Postby MrJames2785 » Tue May 10, 2011 3:53 am

It sounds like you are having memory issues with your computer. The best thing you can do is just replace the memory the computer sounds just fine you just need new memory.
http://heronacademy.com/lab/affiliate-marketing/affiliate-marketing-for-beginners-part-1
http://heronacademy.com/lab/affiliate-marketing/affiliate-marketing-for-beginners-part-1

kcody

Postby kcody » Thu May 26, 2011 2:16 pm

I am having the same issue with the Optiplex 780 onboard NIC. 3.00.1 works fine but 3.00.4 does not. I know there is a workaround but the Optiplex line of Dell computers is one of the most popular out there so I hope they fix this in the next release.

pstrombe2

Postby pstrombe2 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:39 pm

Westy wrote:I had the same problem with the Optiplex 380's + Ping 3.00.3. Posting my solution for reference. Thanks goes to Hwyman for the rough guide! :)

Used Ubuntu Live CD 9.10
Downloaded 2.6.33 from kernel.org
Copied .config from ping 3.00.3
make oldconfig
pico .confg and changed line: CONFIG_BROADCOM_PHY=y
build bzImage
Copied 'bzImage' to be the 'kernel' file TFTD server.

This works fine for me. Although the card uses the tg3 module, it needed BROADCOM_PHY for the actual module to load.

I couldn't get it work with the old 2.6.30 kernel, even with that line added. Lots of places suggest problems with the tg3, and there is loads of mentions in the kernel changelogs, so I figure it's a flaky driver.

Hi folks,

I too am having trouble with the Dell 380s. I tried the steps outlined above with ubuntu 11.04 installed on a desktop and both the kernel releases 3.0.1 and 2.6.39.4. After swapping the kernel on my TFTP server the 380 would load ping but the keyboard would no longer work. The PING greeting screen would load where it want you to hit enter to continue. The kernel version at the top all looked fine, showing 3.0.1 and 2.6.39.4 after swapping the kernel.

When running make oldconfig there were a lot of options to slog through, maybe I missed something there?

Are there any more detail directs to updating device drivers? I am also having issues with HP 3105m's and USB drivers (and logging into ping...) However I will start a separate thread for that.

-Peter

Return to “PING / General Discussions”